There’s something so magical about decorating for the holidays! This year, with the extra time at home, I wanted to make our house feel extra cozy. Admittedly, I also needed something to fill my time at home! Enter, this easy DIY tassel garland. I had been noticing cute tassel garland all over Pinterest, and when I would click to see where people were getting theirs from, I was met with retail listings totaling $50+! So I opted to make my own!
This DIY holiday tassel garland is the perfect activity to do while you sit and watch a cheesy Christmas movie, or if you have kids who are old enough to help – get them involved!
DIY Christmas Decor: Tassel garland how to
You will need:
- Yarn (any color) / I used this green and cream color from Amazon. The yarn I used was each a different thickness. I think this contrast added a nice dimension to the garland.
- Wooden beads (optional, you can skip this and opt to string your garland on one of the yarn colors, or a clear wire) / I used this set which came with a clear wire to string the garland.
- A book / the size of your book will be the length of your tassel. I chose a book that measured around 6″ from the spine to the edge of cover when flipped horizontally.
- Start by cutting a piece of yarn that is around 6-7″. Lay the yarn flat against the spine of your book. Take the yarn that is still rolled up and start to wrap it around the book and the piece of yarn against the spine. I wrapped the thinner yarn around the book about 40 times, and the thicker yarn around 18 times.
- Once you have wrapped the yarn around to a thickness you like, tie a knot around the yarn using the piece that is lying against the spine. ( I tied a few knots)
- Use your scissors and cut the yarn along the side where the pages of the book are.
- Cut another piece of yarn 2-4″ and tie it around the tassel to create the round “topper” shape. The size of your topper depends on where you tie the tassel off
- String the tassel along with wooden beads using a clear wire or another long piece of yarn.
- Hang your garland anywhere you like! Take a cute photo and tag me on Instagram (@thelovelytwist) so I can see!