We all know a good night’s sleep can do wonders. If you’re like me, you might be guilty of laying your little head down and doing the count. You know, the “if I fall asleep right now I’ll get 7 glorious hours of slumber.” What if I told you, switching up something as simple as your pillowcase can help make those sacred sleeping hours even more productive and enhance your health and beauty routine? Enter your new BFF, a silk pillow case. Switching to a silk pillow case can offer several health and beauty benefits, that until I was gifted my own silk pillow case I was completely unaware of! I’m here to pay it forward and spread the news on these amazing benefits!
Silk Pillowcase Health & Beauty Benefits
- Better hair days: the silk material is softer and gentler on your locks. With less friction compared to cotton pillowcases, a silk pillowcase can help prevent hair irritation or damage. I’ve personally noticed I wake up with softer feeling hair. I know it sounds crazy but this is one of the first benefits I noticed after switching to a silk pillowcase. I wake up with less flyaways and silkier smoother hair.
- Cleaner sleep, please: traditional pillowcases made out of cotton or cotton blends absorb water more easily than silk. In fact, cotton can absorb more than 25 times it’s weight in water. So, when you think about your pillowcase absorbing moisture, oil and dirt from your body as you sleep its kinda gross! Which leads me to the next benefit…
- Improve and preserve skin: Because silk hangs onto less pore clogging bacteria than cotton, a silk pillowcase is a great option if you have acne prone skin. Additionally, if you are a side sleeper, a silk pillow case can help to minimize the appearance and onset of wrinkles because of the smoother surface. Think of your face being smushed on a cotton pillowcase for 8 hours each night vs the smoother surface of silk.
- Less drying for skin and hair: back to the moisture absorption…because silk absorbs less moisture, your skin and hair can hang onto it which is especially great if you are prone to dry skin or hair. Or, if you’re like me and you are obsessed with lathering your face up with the juiciest, most dense night creams, this is the best news ever! Your skin can hang onto more of that goodness instead of it being absorbed into your cotton pillowcase.
Ready to make the switch to a silk pillow case? Follow these tips:
- Check fiber content labels: some companies get away with sneaking buzz words into title and marketing. Using terms: silk-like, silk-touch, silk-feeling material can be deceiving and you want to make sure you’re getting real silk.
- Read reviews if buying online or before purchasing in store: it’s no secret that once a trend takes off there are companies out there who want to cut corners to capitalize on the demand. Don’t be fooled by knockoffs or brands using less quality materials.