We all have those situations where we get invited to a cookout and are asked to bring a side. In the past, I would always rack my brain trying to think of what I could contribute that the masses would like. I never had a “signature” dish and always struggled with wanting to change it up. Until I happened my way into this delicious twist on a traditional pasta salad. I give you, my summer pasta salad!
We had been eating tortellini a lot for dinner with sautéed veggies, and one afternoon I thought tortellini sounded good but it was hotter than you know what outside, so I didn’t feel like a warm dish was really calling my name. I took a look at the ingredients in my fridge and realized I had just enough supplies to make a summer pasta salad using the tortellini. Add a few tweaks and viola, you have my easy to make, Tortellini Summer Pasta Salad. Enjoy!
- 1 bag of frozen Tortellini. If you can find tricolored tortellini, use this! I feel like it adds extra color to the dish.
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers. I always have peppers on hand so I like to mix colors into this dish. I usually chop up green, red, and orange peppers and use the extra throughout the week for something else.
- 1-2 cups of chopped spinach. Use fresh spinach, not frozen. If you want this salad more full chop closer to 2 cups of spinach.
- 1 ear of cooked corn. Don’t want to mess with an ear of corn? Feel free to swap in a canned option.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Dash of Cumin
- Cook the tortellini by following instructions on the package
- Bring a pot to boil and cook the corn (if using fresh corn)
- While pasta is cooking, wash and chop the peppers, chop the spinach, set aside
- Drain the tortellini and run under cold water
- Add tortellini to large serving bowl
- Add peppers to tortellini and stir
- Once the corn is cooked, let it cool and remove the corn from the cob. Add corn and spinach to tortellini and peppers, stir lightly
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with salt and pepper, add a dash of cumin to taste
- Add the olive oil mixture to the tortellini bowl and give it a stir
- Add extra salt and pepper to taste
- Store pasta salad in the refrigerator until ready to serve
If you want to see this Summer Pasta Salad recipe in action, check out my IGTV video here!
This summer pasta salad really is so simple to make and is always a hit whenever I serve it up. I’m a pasta enthusiast. So, any chance I have to work pasta into a dish you better believe I’m taking it! Do you have a spin on pasta salad? Favorite summer pasta salad recipe? I’d love to try your recipe out! Share in the comments.