We are well into the season of tailgates and crockpots (aka my favorite season of food). This past spring, I decided to switch to a plant based diet. For the most part, the transition has been easy and I never thought I was “missing out” on eating anything. UNTILL, fall was nearing and I thought of all the yummy tailgate snacks and dips I would have to steer clear of. Alas, I give you my recipe for vegetarian buffalo dip; a vegetarian version of the fan favorite “buffalo chicken dip” we all know and have grown to love.
When I first made this dip for my fiancé he could not tell the difference between this stuff and the old version. Actually, we both admittedly like this version BETTER. So break out your flannel, light the pumpkin spice candle, turn that football game on and ENJOY!
- One bag of riced cauliflower – I like the store brand from Fresh Thyme or Green Giant’s Riced Cauliflower
- 1/2 Cup Quorn Meatless Chick’n Tenders (it’s vegan and delicious!), or Beyond Meat Chicken Strips – just heat them up and cut into smaller pieces.
- Franks Red Hot Sauce – add to your spice level (because, what other hot sauce is there)
- Go Veggie – Lactose & Soy Free Cheese – we’ve used Cheddar, and Monterey and Cheddar, they are both equally amazing. They also have vegan options. I’ve also used Dayia cheddar cheese too!
- 8 oz of Tofutti Cream Cheese – it’s dairy free and delicious! If you can’t find Tofutti, sub in 2/3 cup of low fat or whipped cream cheese
- 1 TBSP Dried Oregano, or if you want you can sub 1 TBSP dried ranch mix
- Pepper to taste
- Naan Bread
- Pretzel Chips
- Your fave veggies!
How to make:
Preheat oven to 425. Heat up the riced cauliflower per directions (I usually dump into a large microwave safe bowl and pop the rice in the microwave for about 2 minutes to soften) Once heated, if the cauliflower is not already in a large bowl, dump cauliflower into a large mixing bowl and stir in hot sauce.
Add 1 tsp of olive oil to a skillet and lightly brown your meatless chicken of choice. If I’m using the Quorn brand, I just add in the pieces since they are smaller. If I use Beyond Meat, I usually cut them into smaller bit sized pieces. Once cooked, add meatless chicken to the cauliflower and hot sauce. Stir so all pieces are coated. Add in your cream cheese, shredded cheese, and dried oregano. Stir in a dash of salt and pepper. Transfer dip to oven safe baking dish. Bake dip for 20 minutes or until top is melted. Add a layer of shredded cheese to the top and bake for 2-5 more minutes.
Let dip cool, and enjoy! We like to cut up fresh veggies and heat some naan bread with this dip. Pretzels are also AMAZING and oh so dippable.